Monday, January 17, 2011

Bang Head Here

Last night I had a patient's daughter (grown up) tell me that her mother was allergic to all generic medicines.  Instead of just nodding and smiling I stupidly attempted to explain that medication is made up of the same chemical compounds, regardless of the label.  At this the daughter just became angry at me and started to yell.  When am I ever going to learn to just smile and nod, all the time, every time?  Arguing with a stupid person is like arguing with a drunk person, there is no such thing as logic and you cannot win.  One thing I have learned at my work is that some things are worth fighting for, but most are not.  Just smile and nod and agree and say "I understand" over and over and over.  People are not happy.  People are not logical.  People think that they are the most important thing in the world.  I am learning this.  A select few people are getting smarter, and yes, we have more technology and scientific advances than ever before, but I can't help but feel we are losing common sense.  Maybe that is just where I am currently located, geographically speaking.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment