Thursday, January 6, 2011

Good peoples

Last night at work I was more impressed than ever with my co-workers.  An elderly man came in, he had just, since New Year's day, received custody of his two small grandchildren under horrific circumstances.  These little ones had basically nothing except for the clothes on their backs.  My co-workers colored, laughed, held, sang to, and played with these little ones so someone could talk to their grandfather about his circumstances and what kind of resources he had, how he was doing and what we could do to help.  The baby's diapers were changed, they were fed and washed and given medicine, love and attention.  When one of the employees walked this kind man and his grandchildren to his car, she noticed that the car seats were the wrong sizes and in bad working condition.  One of the other employees thought to ask the man if he would be willing to accept any help from us in the way of baby supplies. He said he would.  Some of the doctors got together and gave money, the employees that had had little ones themselves agreed to bring in clothes and toys they had in storage, and one of the employees took it upon herself to take the money and buy clothes, car seats, baby food and other things two small growing babies would need.  I don't know if I have ever seen everyone come together for someone in need like everyone did last night.  No questions, just love.  The grandfather's story was too sad and terrible, and him not being in good health himself, no one hesitated for a second to give these children some much needed love and gather resources to help.  I have been impressed with co-workers before, for their knowledge in a crisis situation, their professionalism, their perseverance and work-ethic, but never have I been so impressed with their compassion and love that was given so freely to this little make-shift family in need as I was last night.  I am honored to call you my co-workers and friends.  Thank you for showing me that even under the worst circumstances, people can pull together for complete strangers and for re-affirming my belief in the goodness of people.

2 comments:

  1. Lauren- I love your blog. It's making me see the good things in life/people as well! Keep it up!
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. meeeee tooooo!
    almost made me cry, Tourist!
    keep going we love you.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete