Finally, a creative outlet for myself, just in time for my first quarter-century on earth. Fashion, friends, the life of the single girl and hilarity to follow.
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Debbie Downer's latest competitor...ME
I think being disappointed must be a part of growing up. You start out believing everything, and then slowly, you start to realize things and disappointment inevitably follows. You start out slow, finding out there is no Santa Claus, or Easter Bunny, or Tooth Fairy. By that time you have friends and most likely are in school, and you learn about rainbows and thunder and how it isn't really magic (which I think is disappointing). Then you get older and some friends let you down. You may let yourself down, people in your family may let you down. Boys break your heart, friends leave; you learn your parents are not invincible in the superhero sense of the word. But then you make more friends and hope you will not be disappointed in them. I am so tired of being disappointed in people. I grew up believing that people are generally good, and to trust unless you are given a reason not to. Unfortunately, sometimes I don't believe that people are generally good, and have learned to not trust anyone unless I am given a reason TO trust them. It's kind of the worst feeling in the world. My sister may have had it right. I gave her endless grief about her pessimistic view of the world growing up. Even as a little person she told me "I try not to get excited or happy about most things because then if they don't happen, I am not disappointed". I thought she was crazy and couldn't imagine living my life like that, but as I get older, disappointment seems like potholes in the road: it is better to just avoid them because if you hit every one, sooner or later it is going to break something.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment