Saturday, February 26, 2011

Pocket 'O Goodies

I love living by myself.  I have never had that privilege before, save sophomore year of college, when I was alone in a single dorm room, approximately 5 feet x 10 ft, for one semester.  I have my own bathroom, walk-in closet, can play the music I want, keep the thermostat how I want, decorate how I want...if I feel like baking cookies at 3am while listening to the Grease soundtrack in my skivvies I can and do, do it!  I never like anything that I wear to work to come back into my apartment after it has been "exposed" to the ER.  My shoes come off at the door, and so do most of my clothes.  After being around germs, poo, pee, blood, scabs, oozing wounds, mucous, hairballs, vomit, occasional lice, cockroaches, festering tumors, pieces of brain, spilled meds, etc. etc. (you get the picture) the last thing I want to do is bring any of that into my home.  To combat this infiltration...I undress upon entering my apartment, usually at the door, after I empty my pockets.  If I had a roommate who did this, it would drive me bonkers.  I revel in the fact that my brother and/or dad are not here to tell me that I absolutely CANNOT leave my bra on the kitchen counter, or my hairbrush in the living room, or that it is not really appropriate to run through the living room with no clothes on.  Oh sweet independence!  I can put whatever I want, wherever I want, consciously or not (I have found my planner in the fridge and silver wear in my closet next to the shoes??).  This morning after I got home I got a good laugh at the pile of stuff I placed on the counter after a very long and very dirty night.  I thought I would take a picture to remind me of my crazy single love-my-apartment nursing mornings after work.  Take a look for yourself, my night in a nutshell: lipgloss, digital watch, trauma shears, syringes, car keys, ID badge, paper tape, pens, SOBE Life water, my heart bracelets (they remind me to have compassion when I feel like drop-kicking patients/co-workers/etc.) medical long scissor thingy, book I have not been able to start yet, hairbrush, blunts...and an undergarment.  Ha.  It's like an Eye Spy book.

No comments:

Post a Comment