Finally, a creative outlet for myself, just in time for my first quarter-century on earth. Fashion, friends, the life of the single girl and hilarity to follow.
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Thought o' the Day
Today I had a thought. Amazing, I know. Maybe it was from watching I, Robot yesterday but I heard an ad on the radio for micro-chipping pets, and I thought, why haven't we started doing that with people yet? I haven't really thought it through, but I can think of a couple of reasons it would be handy. Schools could automatically take attendance that way, when going to the DMV, airport, or taking nationalized exams etc. it wouldn't be necessary to take 34 different types of identification with you. Passport counterfeiting would become extinct. It could cut down on identity theft, and hospitals could use it to identify patients. You don't know how many times we get patients in the ER that either a) physically cannot give us identification due to being unconscious or in a wreck or near-death b) lie about who they are to avoid law enforcement, bills, other people, etc. or c) are under the influence of drugs/alcohol or have dementia and are not oriented enough to give us ID. For me it is really a bad feeling when we get people, especially children under 16 who don't have ID on them, in bicycle accidents, hit by cars, etc. etc. and days go by before we can figure out who the person is and who we can notify. It is a helpless feeling and you feel worse because you know someone is probably looking for this person. It could help avoid hospitals giving away babies to the wrong parents as well. Also, if children or people are kidnapped, it would be a good way to verify identities. I don't think I would mind having my baby micro-chipped. Anyways, I thought it was just an interesting idea. I know people will have many good ideas as to why it could be a bad idea and why it shouldn't happen. Would you want to be microchipped?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
uh... no. That really scares me. To me, I, Robot was terrifying. I would not want to be living in that. :)
ReplyDelete