Friday, July 29, 2011

Inefficiency

For liking as much good, homemade food as I do, I enjoy the junky artificial stuff quite a bit as well.  Grands biscuits, Cheetos (not the puffy kind, preferably), cotton candy, Fruit by the Foot...yum.  I just made an emergency trip to the grocery store to get me some tie dye fruit roll-ups and some Welch's fruit snacks.  I now have access to seasons three and four of The Tudors, (if only King Henry VIII had actually looked like Jonathan Rhys-Meyers) am showered and worn out, and am pretty excited to lay in bed and watch my show and eat fruit snacks for the next 45 minutes or so until I fall asleep.

Why am I worn out you ask?  Well let me tell you. Today I went paddle boarding.  You know, where you stand on a surf-board looking board and balance and row around with a long paddle.  It is the second most inefficient mode of transportation I have ever experienced, second only to crab walking backwards.  I have always seen movie stars doing it and though it would be fun so when a friend asked if I would like to go I jumped at the opportunity.  Now after experiencing an hour and a half of paddle boarding when the sun was at its apex in the humid South while going against the current on the way out and against the tide on the way back...I know it is solely an activity people do for exercise or as means of punishment.  It is a whole-body workout, from balancing the entire time (heaven forbid a boat wake come along, you pretty much have to get on all fours as quickly as you can without falling off and hold on to the board for dear life) to using your abs and arms and shoulders and back to paddle.  I felt like the kayakers going by us were flying, and the boats going by us might as well have been moving at the speed of sound.  Despite all this it was a fun experience, I am glad I tried it; anything to be out on the water these last few weeks before I head West!   Afterwards we made up for our exercise with (this was just what I had): 1 powerade, 1 bottled water, 1 glass of ice water, 2 Arnold Palmers, an entire order of shrimp artichoke dip, a cup of tortilla soup and a sesame salad.  And 1 sushi wonton. 

Here is a picture of two paddle boarders if you just cannot fathom it, not me however:


No comments:

Post a Comment