Thursday, July 7, 2011

white rabbit late

I am 38 minutes late starting this entry...working from 7p-1a is really throwing off my blog log hours.  Tonight a patient said to me, "Wow, you are really hardcore.  Are you military?". It would have been more appropriate if I had saved a life or cracked a chest or something, all I was doing was giving a tetanus shot, but whatever.  I took it as a compliment. 

Did you know Pocohontas was 11 when she met John Smith?

My new interest is the Algonquin Round Table - introduced to me by a friend at work.  Google that shiz.  I want to belong to a group like that.  Maybe I will start my own round table, more Algonquin than King Arthur, or maybe a hybrid of witty knights....

Also, Goethe, introduced to me by another friend, specifically Sturm und Drang.  Do you think J.K. Rowling was making a play on words or was it a nod to Germanic history when she named one of the rival wizarding schools Durmstrang?  Or just a fluke? 

Finally, St. Thomas Aquinas and Thomism - - interesting dude and ideas...worth looking at.  I love those guys that try to mix science and religion.

Ok, last, I swear, I am re-reading Brave New World.  I had started it again but my interest was waning, after talking to a friend about it (and reading the preface after his urging) I am understanding more.  Why do schools make kids read stuff like that, George Orwell, etc. in high school?  It is hard enough to understand in your mid-20's, let alone when you are 16 and know nothing about commerce, economics, goverrnment, religion or politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment