"How is work" my mom asked tonight when I called her during my lunch break. "The patients are soul-sucking" I replied. "Oh, like dementors" she said. Exactly. Today it was the little things that wore me out, nothing seemed to be simple. Little things, like paging physical therapy to do teaching with a patient turned into a huge ordeal...I couldn't find the right phone number, the operator transferred my call to a satellite clinic 5 miles away, when I finally did get ahold of a physical therapist they did not agree with the physician's orders, the family of the pt had to be called, the physician had to change his orders, a walker was ordered, medical supply company had to be called, there was a problem with the insurance, etc.etc. All this while another patient had a blood clot and needed education and teaching on how to subcutaneously inject blood thinners at home, while the patient in room 5 continually yelled out for 7up, while the 3 year-old needed an IV and antibiotics, while the ultrasound machine was broken, while lab needed a red gel tube drawn while my other patient was ready to have a blood transfusion and the ambulance was bringing someone else in on a stretcher. None of them had life-threatening conditions, but all needed a million little things. And that was just the first hour...I know I am very lucky to have a job and shouldn't complain, but damn, I am worn out!
There is no where else I would rather be right now than where I am, in my comfy bed with my warm bed buddy on my feet and sleep imminent. For the next few days the dementoids can be someone else's problem.
No comments:
Post a Comment