So, last night I spent my New Year's eve surrounded by death, destruction, and some excellent apple-peach sparkling beverage. What is it about the passing of time that make people act so crazy? Automobile accident after automobile accident (alcohol induced), drug over-doses, suicide attempts, rape, aggravated assault....My co-worker said that his daddy told him that whatever state you are in at the change of the new year dictates how the rest of the year is going to go. He said his dad always carried money in his pocket at the turn of midnight, so that in his following year, he would always have money in his pocket. Um, right around midnight we had a patient in the trauma room and after the physician cracked the chest open I was performing open cardiac massage...so maybe this year, by that theory, I will have a lot of love in my life since I was holding a heart bringing in the new year?? That's probably it.
This morning, when I got home from work, I turned on my computer and my GoogleNews homepage popped up. After the night I had had, it was the straw that broke the camel's back. The words "bomb", "murder", "obesity", "mass killings", "biblical flood" and "nuclear holocaust" had shown up one too many times. After a short search, my new homepage is the National Geographic website's Photo of the Day. Today is a photograph of a Southern Masked Weaver. Much better.
I don't know how you nurses do, it. But, keep doing it! I'll keep teaching even when desks are being thrown at me (that actually happened to my mom!)
ReplyDeletexo
Emily