Saturday, January 8, 2011

Real-life Nerd

I have been on a documentary kick lately.  The Aryan brotherhood, the Kindertransport during WWII, Japan's dolphin slaughter, babies, the secret service...I want to learn about it all.  I love sparkle-cupcake-sunshine-happily-ever-after movies, but sometimes real life is more...real.  Life is messy and sad and complicated and lonely, unlike most movies that come out today.  Documentaries show reality a little better, and they are fascinating because they are TRUE.  There are so many things I want to learn about, most don't have any use in day-to-day life, but I want to learn about them anyways.  Norse mythology, fashion, astronomy, opera, theology, medicinal plants, chupacabras, Atlantis, etiquette, how to use an abacus, trauma nursing, the ninth legion, wilderness survival, sailing....Some things I know I am terrible at and have no interest in, like keeping plants alive, reading medical journals, running long distances, camping and American history.  Oh well.

One of my new endeavors I plan on undertaking this year is swimming.  I have a free membership to the YMCA and thought that an exercise where I don't have to be on my feet (after spending 12 hours on them) would be amazing.  I have visions of myself swimming laps and feeling amazing and falling in love with exercise (something I have not been able to do in my 24 years on earth) but in reality I will probably swim two laps, then float around and practice my Martha Washington hair while singing Little Mermaid songs...if I ever make it to the pool.  The regulars are going to love me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment