Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Not plausible...but semi-possible

     This morning I had to ask myself, what is keeping you from selling everything and moving to Italy and renting an apartment the size of a cupboard and working a menial job in a coffee shop or better yet, a fashion house?  It was a wonderful half-second of possibility, then the logical side of myself answered: "First, you have car payments and student loan payments.  You don't speak Italian.  You don't know anything about sewing or business, and you definitely don't know how to run an espresso machine.  You would have no health insurance. Your income would be minimum wage. You talk to you parents at least once a day and phone calls home would be bi-monthly at best.  You feel lonely surrounded by people who speak English, imagine if you were surrounded by people who did not.  You are gullible and believe anything people tell you (I am getting better at the gullible thing...now I definitely KNOW there is NO such thing as blinker fluid for my car) and if you believed a nice man asked you out to dinner, he would probably actually be kidnapping you and selling into the underground sex-slave business.  Shall I continue?  Nope.  Thanks for that flash back to reality.  The problem is I would hate to one day end up wishing I would have done stuff like this when I was younger.  I can hear the conversation between me and my future kid now:
Child: "I want to travel the world!"
Me: "Son, I know how you feel, I always have wanted to too."
Child: "Then why didn't you?"
Me: "Mainly the debilitating fear that the lack of health insurance in an emergency would cause me crippling financial ruin for the rest of my life."
Child: "Oh. Ok.  Can I go outside and play?"

Living in fear is no way to live, but neither is living in crippling financial ruin.  I guess the trick is to be smart about it and balance the two.  Now if only I knew how to begin doing that....

PS - FYI, I just googled jobs in Venice, Italy and on craigslist, under 'gigs' sub-category 'talent', this is what I found:
Bachelor party right after the New Year,
I need a few female Dancers to entertain us,
the Wilder the better. Great pay for great talent.
Email me with reusme and at least 2 pictures featuring your assets for consideration.
If liked you will recieve more information.
Location: Venice

Awesome.  Something classy for the young professional.  After reading this being sold into the sex-slave trade seems more like a realistic possibility than ever.  I did enjoy the wording of the ad, however even if the spelling and grammar were pathetic.  Ha.

1 comment:

  1. i feel the need to remind you here that you DID move all the way across the country alone, to explore something new because you never had before! You are braver than you think :)

    ReplyDelete