Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The College Years: First date...La style

I was just laying in bed trying to sleep.  I can't remember what made me think of it, but I was reminiscing about the first time the boy I liked in college and I hung out off-campus, a pseudo first-date if you will, and I had to get up and write it down...so funny and un-fabulous and 100% La.  I think I was thinking about broken noses, and that is what reminded me of it.

     I was 18, and had met this super-cute guy through some friends.  He was tall and funny, and on the football team, and I was smitten. A bunch of us planned to go sledding with inner-tubes in the mountains one weekend, and I was really looking forward to it.  When the day came, I packed up all my winter stuff and headed to his dorm room to meet him and his roommate and some other friends to drive up the mountain.  Something came up, and his roommate couldn't go, so just he and I and some other kid from his floor drove up in the mountains to a good sledding hill.  I really wanted to impress this boy and look dazzling, so I had worn eyeliner and mascara...(who wears that sledding?  I learned my lesson).  We had one huge inner-tube that all three of us decided to sit in/on for the first run of the day.  One person in the middle, and one on each side.  I was on the side to avoid getting squished.  He and the other kid that went with us were probably 500 lbs combined, really big guys, and the weight dispersion wasn't exactly equal.  So we get situated and take off and of course within the first half a second I bounce off.  The inner-tube spins around and the next thing I know someone has gotten a hold of my head and is dragging me face-down, down the mountain alongside the inner-tube.  I can't get loose, I can't breathe, I am in pain and I am being dragged and dragged and dragged.  Finally we lose momentum and come to a stop...and I am in tears.  I have massive amounts of mascara and tears running down my face, snow chunks in my hair, and a bloody nose that has run all down the front of me and wont stop.  "Why did you drag me!?" I screamed at the boy.  "I was helping you! I was holding you clear so we didn't run you over!" he replied. "You just held my head down and drug me down the entire mountain face-down!" I cried. I was angry and humiliated and in pain and had nothing to stem the flow of my bloody nose, we were in the middle of the wilderness during Winter.  After sticking snow chunks up my nose and him graciously offering me his pocket-liners to wipe the blood and running mascara off of my face (I was dazzling, I am sure of it), I declined any more sledding that day. The boy must have really felt sorry for me because he dated me for four years after that.
     At the time it was a nightmare, but now I think it was hilarious.  I wish someone had been filming so I could see my 18-year old self being drug down the mountain face-down alongside two giants in a spinning inner-tube.  None of this romantic first kiss after dinner while looking at the stars on a first date...my style is a little more dramatic.  Blood, tears, mascara, screaming and crying...hey, to each their own.  I am smiling remembering it, and that is all that matters, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment