This morning, after getting up at 5:45 (yes, a.m.) and hauling two bags and one hamper of laundry to my car, driving to the laundry center, unloading the bags an taking them inside the laundry center, separating the colors, putting in 4 loads of laundry ($6), driving back to my apartment, eating oatmeal, driving back to the laundry center, dragging 40 lbs of wet laundry to 4 drying machines (another $6), driving back to my apartment, waiting, driving back to the laundry center and folding, smoothing and tossing anything that didn't needed to be folded back into the garbage bags and hamper, (some still wet, I didn't care at that point) loading it in 3 trips to my car, driving back to my apartment, unloading it in 3 trips to my living room, where it is now sitting in garbage bags, I met my quota of productivity. Too bad it was only 9am.
I went back to sleep and since then have been lazing in bed, watching movies. No food has sounded good recently and when I went to the store yesterday, I made the mistake of only buying what sounded good to me at the time: two Economy sized bags of beef jerky and a 12-pack of diet ginger ale. Awesome. Needless to say today I have had ginger ale...and no jerky. I was all jerky-ed out by yesterday afternoon. I am an idiot.
I watched Eat Pray Love. I think it is good I waited so long to see it after reading the book, otherwise it would have put me in a bad mood. Book to movie transitions usually do. I do remember some differences between the two however. There was no rogue elephant in the book (that I remember), and I liked in the movie how her Brazilian love at the end seemed vulnerable too. In the book he kind of seemed like a larger-than-life version of Dos Equis' World's Most Interesting Man. You've seen the commercials. I feel like I could give all kinds of cliche advice to people right now, like: 'Find balance. Find inner peace. Love people. Miss people. Send them light and love and drop it. First you must forgive yourself. Look for signs. When you lose everything, look for enlightenment.' Maybe I will try some of these out in the ER. Somehow I don't think the mentally handicapped prostitute that takes payment in cocaine that is always in for assault would appreciate/understand me advising her to send people light and love...hmmmmm, maybe I will just have to send out my own lightness and love to my patients and hope these people might recognize some goodness and kindness when it is in front of them. It would be asking way too much for them to appreciate or reciprocate the effort, but that is ok. I have loads to give.
You have more goodness and kindness than you know. Your smile alone can make the infirm feel better. oawm
ReplyDelete