Thursday, March 10, 2011

Time is all relative

I think I experienced the longest 15 minutes in the history of La-kind last night (not humankind, just in my own personal experience: La-kind).  Here was the scenario: Elderly man on a hospital stretcher, unconscious, making irregular gasping breaths with longer and longer pauses in-between, while his wife of 47 years is leaning next to him, holding his hand and smoothing his hair back, speaking softly to him in German, crying, as I, the other nurses and doctor watch his heart rate slowly, slowly fade to nothing; not a sound in the cold room except the slowing beeps of his heart rate  Having to watch a patient slowly die is agonizing, but it is even worse when you have to witness someone alive and well that loves that person dearly witnessing it.  Of course there is sadness when a John Doe dies, but when John Doe has a family it is a billion times worse.  Overall, after all our attempts, after three hours of life-saving interventions, when his wife asked us to stop, it couldn't have taken 15 minutes for his heart to quit beating. Only fifteen minutes, but while watching that monitor with his heart activity on it slowly fade to a straight line with a heart rate of zero with his wife crying over him, I feel like I aged 30 years. 

2 comments:

  1. That is soo sad.. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I pray god gives you and their families strength through times like that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will gladly be ping-ponged between you Kim and a patient's wife any day... Vincent told me I was super strong for not crying with everyone else and I told him not to worry I will be crying my eyes out on my 35 minute drive home....

    ReplyDelete