Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oddities

I get toothpaste in my eyes entirely too much.

Last night there was a patient brought in by the sheriff's office that had, during a police chase, ran into a family's home around dinner time, yelled for help, and then ran out again.  I thought that only happened in movies?  Apparently not. I picture the family all sitting around the dinner table, forks stopped in mid-air, mouths open expectantly....I bet that family locks their doors from now on.

Also, there was an accident brought into the ER by boat during the day.  The hospital is on the water and has a dock, and the patient was brought by in by boat, they radioed ahead and the ER crew met them on the dock.  How cool is that?  I guarantee that never happens in the Rocky Mountain region, or is even an option on the electronic charting there.  We have the options EMS, POV, Police, Wheelchair, Walk In or Boat here, and it is pretty cool. 

The other night at work a Spanish-speaking patient came in with the name Conojo.  I called him Senor Conejo for a good long while, before the ER doctor told me that I was, in fact, calling him Mr. Bunny.  Apparently the pronunciation and accent on those Spanish words is very important.

Last night a patient, when asked what his allergies were, told me "anesthesia". 

My fellow nurse gave me the one-eyed Willy look last night when a seizing drunk patient came in that delusionally thought she was miscarrying, and amidst the tears she asked us to tell her something happy about her life, and I replied that she had the only flat screen tv in her room in the whole ER.  Honestly lady, I don't know your life.  A flat screen tv is always a positive in my life, and by the looks of it, was the high point of your night as well.

I got really excited when I drove by the community college message board that always has the new classes listed and I thought I saw "YODA 101".  I am signing up for that!  I thought.  Upon closer inspection it was, in fact, YOGA 101.  Bummer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment