Wednesday, September 21, 2011

my feet hurt

First shift in the ER is complete.  I am sitting in my car in the freezing parking lot picking up the hospital wi-fi to write this.  I haven't spent 12 hours on my feet in awhile and am definitely feeling it.  A few notes about nurse practice here compared to my other hospital:

Nurses have a larger scope of practice here, from drawing arterial blood, injecting local anesthetic, etc.

There are more nurses here and more doctors per shift for the same amount of patients to be seen as in the other hospital

Triage moves much quicker when there are 3 triages vs. 1 room

There is a much larger population of psychiatric patients here than in the South, approximately 25% of the patient load at any time

I like the Southern hospital's blunt tips better for drawing up meds

Parents pre-medicate their children here

Drug seekers are everywhere

Well that is all my exhausted brain can think of right now.  I am going home and getting into that sleeping bag and sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment