Saturday, October 1, 2011

My "special" day

Wow.  If my neighbors didn't think I was special-needs before today they all do now.  And I am beginning to wonder as well.  I decided to do some stuff around the condo today (aka the Bachelorette Pad) and had a pretty productive day over all, but I feel like some things took way longer than they should have. 
     I washed my entire downstairs floor on my hands and knees, hung some pictures on the wall, unpacked the guest room/office, hung curtains (including installing the rod) in my room, began washing windows outside, and took four loads of smashed down boxes to the construction site dumpster.  I also cleaned my bathroom, did the dishes, and emptied the dishwasher, paid rent and finally put two birthday cards in the mail.  Sounds pretty good right?  I left out the "special" parts, that's why. 
     I imagine watching me try to load the broken down boxes into my back seat and trunk looked something like one of those ants trying to get a stick in an ant hole.  I was sweating and trying to squish as many boxes in as I could and most would not fit no matter how hard I tried, hence the 4 loads instead of 1 or 2.  At one point one of the boxes unfolded into my face really hard and hit me right in the nose and it was all I could do not to cry.  Also, the construction site dumpster was approximately 8 feet high so I had to launch the boxes into it.  I really got a workout.  After that was finalized I decided to install a curtain rod and hang my black-out curtains in my room (night shifts are returning for me this week).  I didn't understand the directions (why do those things come with weird hollow plastic screws??) and had a terrible time with my power drill trying to drill holes into my wall (while standing on my bar stool, sweating profusely) until I realized the drill was on the reverse setting.  Awesome. 
     Finally, I decided to go outside and wash windows and locked myself out of the condo entirely.  I had my phone and some Windex and a role of paper towels and was stuck.  Being way too proud and too cheap to call my landlord (I didn't have the number anyways) I decided I was going to figure out a way in.  I tried all the doors and windows and since I am in a new subdivision I went over to the current construction site and found some wire, then stuck it in through my window and snagged the screen and jimmied it out so then I could crawl into one of the downstairs windows.  Don't act like you are not impressed.  Imagine if you were a neighbor of mine and saw me walk outside with cleaning stuff, then just stop as soon as the door shut behind me and stare at it, then run around frantically trying all the doors and windows, then sitting there for awhile, then wandering over to the muddy construction site in my flip flops and short shorts and picking up various pieces of wood and wire and then tramping back through the mud, sticking the wire in my window and shaking and lifting and pulling for 5 minutes or so, then taking the screen off and then taking my shoes off and crawling in my own window. Fantastic.  At least I chalked up a few extra Macgyver points, right?  And I kept all my clothes on while crawling in the window this time ; )

No comments:

Post a Comment