I remember when Sunday nights consisted of family dinner and then the Sunday Night Movie on TV. Now I am sitting here getting ready to go to work, going to pick up a sandwich on the way on this chilly night, and it makes me smile remembering all the good Sunday nights with family I had growing up.
Nurses really are amazing. No matter what the day or time, hundreds are away from their families and their loves just in case someone (a stranger) will need them. If you wake up in the middle of the coldest night and think the rest of the world is asleep, remember there are nurses somewhere going about their business. Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, birthdays, blizzards and hurricanes we are working. In ER nursing at least, most patients are not that appreciative or even nice, and we deal a large amount of the time with intoxicated, belligerent and unhappy people, and that is not including the criminals the police bring in. What makes someone go into nursing? I don't know what makes people go into nursing (probably lack of knowledge about the nursing field or the media making it look glamorous) but I do know that every once in a long while a patient comes in and you know without a doubt that you made a difference in that person's life. I haven't had that in awhile but I am always looking forward to that re-affirmation when it does happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment