So, for those of you that do not know, I am dating a policeman. Last night, after months of asking, I finally agreed to go on a "ride along" with him. Apparently any member of the public can ride with the police during their nightly (or daily) rounds. Who knew?
Anyways, I gave in and went with him last night. Initially I insisted that he provide me with a bullet-proof vest, helmet and goggles, but after actually trying those things on prior to last night I realized it might have been overkill. That vest is heavy and I had no peripheral vision, or really any vision at all in his riot helmet. Instead I wore my yoga pants, three shirts and a down coat because it was COLD. I totally looked legit.
The night started with a briefing, and then we headed to his beat, which I learned last Fall is police-term for "route". His car was nice with the computer setup and everything, but at some points I couldn't help but think that maybe it's the cops we should be looking out for on the road as he zoomed along while typing with both hands on the computer. I got to watch him pull someone over for speeding (he only gave them a warning), and go to a call at a bar where a drunk man fell off a bar stool. I am serious about that last one. Now I know the process of what happens after a drunk falls over...the bar or a bystander call the police, the police and ambulance show up, load up the person, and then he (or she) is brought the the ER where I take care of them until they sober up. After that it was pretty dead. We had dinner with a few of the other policemen at Denny's around 1am, then drove around some more. Just as I was wearing out and he was headed in the direction of my place to drop me off he got a call for a hit and run that lasted fooooorrrrrrreeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeerrrrrrr. He had to find the vehicle that was hit, find the vehicle that hit it, find the owners (or their family members when that wasn't happening), take pictures, write a report, call the tow-company and talk to dispatch all while diffusing the tension between the people who's cars were involved. I sat in the car because it was too cold outside for me and entertained myself by singing until I almost fell asleep. He was finally able to drop me off around 6 this am.
Overall it was interesting to see what he does all night, and was good to spend some time with him...bonus I got to see him in his uniform for 8 hours ; ) I'm glad we have police men and women.
No comments:
Post a Comment