Monday, February 13, 2012

clear yo head

Several times today at work I had to remind myself to step back and take a deep breath.  High patient numbers, low patient IQ's, and exasperating co-workers really try my patience.  Sometimes I think "Is it just me?  Am I the only sane person left around here?"  and then thankfully the charge nurse or co-worker from another pod will pull me aside and confirm my beliefs that something (or someone) is bonkers.  Too often I am discovering that instead of encouraging other staff and co-workers who need an extra nudge in the work-ethic department to do their job, I just take on their responsibilities myself because a) I am tired of asking them to do stuff they should already be doing b) I know it will be done correctly c) I know it will be done quickly.  Thank goodness my charge nurse saw this happening tonight and talked to me about it because that is another good way to burn myself out.  I was having flashbacks to group projects in junior high, high school and college and unfortunately the trend seems to be that people are fine with someone else taking charge and either telling them what to do or just doing it for them. Luckily, I usually work with people that have great work ethics, but sometimes when the planets align I have to work with "special needs" people and throughout the shift I can feel my blood pressure rising.  I think this happens much less frequently here than where I moved from.  That is all, I just had to vent for a minute.  Thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment