Saturday, February 4, 2012

that face looks familiar...

Time got away from me for a few days there!  I had some much needed time off and got to spend some time with some friends out on the town, went skiing, watched some movies, overall a pretty good few days.  Yesterday/this a.m. I was back at work running around like a wild goose like normal.  At one point one of the other nurses asked me to set up the arterial line during a trauma.  I have never set one of those up before and after putting it off for as long as possible I pulled it out of the packaging and looked at it.  Imagine approximately 600 miles of itty-bitty tubes and clamps and plastic pieces and caps you hook to a bag of saline and then attach one million different yellow legos to all the white legos on the tubing, and then hang it so it looks wrong and upside down and you basically have the jist of it.  Ufta.  I need to set one up again soon to help me remember it.  If another 3 years goes by and I don't set one up I don't think I will remember. 

Also, new experience for me - reading in the newspaper about a horrific, gruesome murder of not only one person, but two, then after seeing the mug shot of the murderer, realizing that the murderer was your patient two days previous...I banished the "Did I miss something?  Could I have prevented this?" thoughts as soon as they entered my head because a) they would drive me insane and b) one of the reasons I remember the patient is because they were very cooperative and pleasant and stood out in a good way from my usual mess of rude and angry patients.  Odd...very odd and slightly nauseating.

No comments:

Post a Comment