Saturday, March 3, 2012

something new

So I had an interesting patient last night, 21 year old male presented to ER w/chest pain, labs looked like he was having or had had a recent heart attack.  No family history, not taking any cocaine, meth, etc. The cardiologist came in and took him to the cath lab to do a heart cath.  Turned out he had Takotsubo Syndrome, aka Broken Heart Syndrome.  When a person is under a lot of stress ie marital problems, death of a loved one, etc. it can actually cause damage to the heart muscle and pain in the heart, and it presents like a heart attack.  It is treated with medication and usually goes away within a week or so, but definitely requires quick medical attention.  Lo and behold this young man had been having relationship problems with his fiance.  I thought it was so interesting how the body works and that when people get so sad or upset about a loved one, it is possible, in essence, for the heart to break.  I have never had a patient with this before.  Thinking back, after I saw the patient and did my assessment, I went and gave the doctor a quick rundown, and I remember telling the doc that the patient lived with his fiance, I knew because who the patient lives with is a question that is required on our assessment.  Anywho, I told the doc that the patient was not married but lived with his fiance.  I remember because the doc was like "Um, thanks for telling me?  That is so random that you even asked that".  I then informed him it was required for my charting.  Who would have thought that that bit of info might have been some of the most important info obtained on this kid all night?

No comments:

Post a Comment