Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ok...got one!

Ok, so I have been sitting here, tired, wanting to sleep, but trying to think of something interesting/different that happened yesterday that I can write about, and I finally got something.  When I came on shift the nurse giving me report, while making small talk told me about his day.  Apparently there had been a big trauma, a young boy came in with a massive head injury, and I mean a head injury, complete with crushed skull and brain matter on the stretcher.  That is not the interesting part (to me).  The interesting part to me was how it happened...I asked and then laughed because I thought he was joking.  The cause of injury was "buggy accident".  Apparently it was an Amish family in an Amish community and they were utilizing their primary mode of transportation (second only to antique school bus I think) and somehow the horse spooked and the boy fell out.  After that the details were a bit hazy, either the buggy fell on the boy, he was caught and dragged, the mother fell on the boy, or he just landed really hard on the ground, but I can honestly say I have never had or heard of a buggy accident patient before, and it is completely something unique to this region and a few others of the US.  I do not know the boy's prognosis and it was a horrific, sad accident. Anywho...buggy accident...that is a new mode of injury for me....and there I was thinking I couldn't get easily surprised anymore. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment