I don't know why it is so intimidating to sit down and write again...but it is. I will start simple: still nursing, still flabbergasted by people, still working nights in the ER, increasingly jaded, the 9-5 plastic surgeon assistant job looking more and more enticing. Just wait until you hear about the lawsuit I caused the hospital when I asked a "disabled" person that brought a dog into triage with no obvious "disability" what in the world a dog was doing in the hospital. Big no-no. Unfortunately I am more inclined to be disheartened by patients now that the initial newness and humor has decreased of working in the ER but I am still looking for the goodness and seeking the funny.
Last night at work a co-worker informed me that a patient from the hospital we work at had stolen a wheelchair from us, (our hospital name and department stencil spray painted all over it of course) and had tried to sell it on craigslist. I think hospital security saw the ad somehow and called the police and when the police showed up to repossess the wheelchair the woman said that she didn't know that what she had done was illegal. Really?
I have been pretty good about exercising after work but last night I forgot my gym clothes so I didn't make it this morning. Also, when work is absolutely balls to the wall chaotic, I mostly just want to come straight home and sit in my bedroom and drink alcohol. Lovely that the age:alcohol tolerance/hangover set-in time is inversely related, I swear I get a headache now after 1.5 drinks, I used to be a champ (sigh). Just kidding. It is very apparent my party days are over and I am more than ok with that. Oh the joys of getting older, but like my dad says, it beats the alternative.
It is still the little things, I am finding, that make work bearable. Here are some examples: free cookie night at Subway (Thursdays), getting to work with a pod-mate nurse who also happens to be a friend, finding out 2 IV drug infusions are compatible, and the cafeteria having fresh lemons to put in my water. Two of those revolve around food...hmmmm. More to come...
No comments:
Post a Comment