Common sense is not very common these days. These are all phrases I had to use last night, many in triage:
"Yes, your heart will feel like it is racing if you do meth"
"If you pick at your scab, it will bleed. I don't care what the nurse at the jail told you"
"If you are asleep and then you sit up and open your eyes, yes, that means you are awake"
"You need to go to the dentist, not the ER if all your upper teeth are rotten and you want them pulled. You don't have any money? I see that you are still smoking 2 packs a day. Use that money"
"No, just because your child's "earwax looks weird" does not mean you need to rush him to the ER"
"I am really sorry your car broke down but no we don't give free hotel coupons"
"No you cannot sit in the lobby until your bus comes in 3 days"
"I can't give you a doctor's note saying you were seen in the ER and to give you time off work unless you were actually seen in the ER"
Oh man. Here are some things I am thankful for to end this on a happy note:
Listening to Enya on my drive home
No traffic on Sunday mornings
I found cherry kool-aid at work
Also...I had a great idea this morning. We should take some of our more persistent transients, (the ones that have to be escorted off property multiple times at night) and shower them and comb their hair and put them in a hospital-issued polo shirt and have them be the greeter at the door like at Wal-Mart. It is a win-win situation....they are not trying to check into the ER every hour or out calling ambulances to bring them to the ER, we give them a warm place to sit, clean shirts and unlimited coffee. I am a genius.
No comments:
Post a Comment