Wednesday, February 16, 2011

10 Things I bet YOU didn't know...and I just learned

My brain is always going a million miles an hour it seems.  'How is that?' you are probably asking.  'Don't you sleep most of the time?'  Yes, yes I do, but even my dreams are complex.  You know what I have realized I am doing in dreams now, because I dream so often and so vividly and remember every little detail?  I am referencing other dreams I've had, in my more recent dreams.  Phew.  Always learning, always thinking, always dreaming.  To illustrate the capacity of knowledge my brain is learning and holding constantly, here is a short list of things I learned at work  just last night:

1) There really is no really good way to sugar-coat "You fell of your porch you were (are) so drunk and now your leg is broken in two-places" to a 65-year old woman.
2) You can bribe co-workers with (my) mom's homemade ginger snaps.
3) Running four flights of stairs to a code blue while trying to swallow half a bagel isn't a smart idea.
4) Sometimes it's ok to say "I'm the nurse!  THAT'S why!"
5) Just quit assuming there is going to be anything edible in the cafeteria at nighttime.
6) If an African-American woman comes in via ambulance with no hair, most likely her wig is going to appear from some odd place when you are not expecting it.  Don't let it frighten you.
7) If you feel like a patient is going to die soon, they probably are.
8) Retired nurses are THE WORST patients ever.
9) If you run in to a chemistry professor, and even if it wasn't your chemistry professor, if you look like you have been in college in the last decade, he or she will quiz you on hypo-, hyper- and iso- tonic solutions.
10) Appalachian Kool-Aid = moonshine

My brain is so full, I don't know how I manage to walk around.

4 comments:

  1. Haha I was totally laughing about that on my drive home too funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hardly wait for your daily posts. Thanks
    for making me smile - your sense of humor and observations of your world are a blessed tonic. Perhaps it is your underlying compassion that cements it all together. oawm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really started laughing at the bagel one because I can totally see you doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha loved it... I'm scared to ask, but... when you run into these bald women, and you find their wigs in random places, where exactly are these random places?!?

    ReplyDelete