Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ring of Fire/Pin of Ketchup

My friend and co-worker was charge nurse for the first time Monday night.  Apparently the community thought that birth by fire would be the most beneficial to her, so they proceeded to the ER, every one of them it seems.  They overdosed, had heart attacks, seizures, became septic, drank too much, ate too much, jumped out of wheelchairs and broke their bones and had kidney stones just so she would have a good initiation, wasn't that sweet?  One even died.  They were lined up in the lobby until 3am they were so eager to see her in action.  I think the other hospitals in the area were in on it too because they rejected and diverted patients to us allllll night. 

On a happier note it was one of the PA's birthdays so we all brought in food.  I found this artichoke/spinach/cheese dip to bring in from the Publix grocery, and it was delicious with some pita chips, but now it feels like there is a baby rhino in my stomach trying to get out.  I gave the PA the coolest birthday present ever, it was actually given to me by a strange, proud man at a coffee shop in Charleston, but don't tell him I re-gifted it...it's a pin that looks like a miniature bottle of Heinz Ketchup!  Apparently this man that gave it to me was from wherever Heinz is manufactured and he was so proud of that fact he gave me and my friends all pins as mementos...?  I thought it would be an appropriate gift for my PA friend, who, I am sure, like everyone else that is American, enjoys ketchup.  He wore it on his lab coat all night and I told him he has to wear it tonight until midnight because it is still his birthday.  He said he would.  I think it gives him street credit.

1 comment:

  1. Hey now the dead guy was there when we came on shift all of our patients survived

    ReplyDelete