I wish we would get some thunderstorms. The sky looks like it is thinking about it, but there is only about a 20% of precip this week. We need it. I still find it crazy that the high temps are to be in the mid 90's and every day there is a chance of thunder and lightning storms. It's like bath water when it does rain!
Today my mood went from average to blue in 2 minutes flat. I went to the grocery store and when I was checking out, just trying to be friendly, I asked the grocery bagger how he was doing. He was an older black man, I think with some developmental delays, as most of the baggers have issues at this particular grocery store. Anyways, just being really honest, he really told me how he was doing. He was kind of hard to understand but I got the jist of it. Basically, he hasn't been sleeping well at night because it is so hot out, and he can't afford air conditioning anymore so he recently had it turned off. He said the utilities men told him he was going to broil in this heat, but he can't keep up with his bills. Wham. It was like a kick in the stomach. The guy wasn't looking for handouts or pity, he was just being brutally honest. I thanked him and told him I hope he sleeps better tonight, but walking out to my nice, air-conditioned car in the parking lot I felt so guilty and sad. I have a beautiful apartment, a nice car, and the thing that has been weighing on my mind the most lately is what I am going to buy to pack for Banana's honeymoon suitcase. My family just spent a week at a fantastic beach house, and my thermostat at my place is set to 69 degrees. This man really put things into perspective for me, and I wish there was more I could do for people like him. It also reminded me to have patience at work, because not everyone that comes in comes from a loving family and air conditioned residence. It seems shallow that I still need to remind myself that, but truthfully I need to be reminded of most things, frequently.
I hope it pours tonight and the rain cools things down a bit and the grocery bagger has no problems falling asleep to the sound of rain on his roof and dreams of wonderful things.
No comments:
Post a Comment