Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Best Birth Control

For myself, the best form of birth control is going to a public enclosed place, like an airport, mall, doctor's office, etc. and seeing the unruly, crying, screaming, off-the-wall, in-your-personal-space kids, who's parents have no apparent control over them whatsoever.  I am so not ready for a monster of my own.  Take for example today at the DMV.  Apparently every person in there brought every child they could find under the age of 7 or so, and let them wreak havoc on the DMV and everyone sitting in chairs waiting at the DMV.  I thought I was going to go crazy, and I can honestly say it was my shortest trip to the DMV ever, I got in and out in a timely fashion, but it was horrendous the 10-15 minutes or so I sat there.  The mother behind me had approximately 5 children with her, ages from about 11-infant, and she had brought her friend as well, who had a 3 or 4 year old named Jackson that screamed the ABC's as loud and as long as he could, repeatedly.  Either Jackson or his mom, or one of the other 13 kids in there (or any of the adults, after working in the ER I know this is not unusual) apparently pooped their pants and the assault on my olfactory sense was debilitating.  I had to sit there with a hand over my nose.  So not only were my ears ringing from the yelling, my chair was bouncing from the kids that appeared all around to play jungle gym on the neighboring seats, and I couldn't breathe out of my nose for fear of dry-heaving all over the 15-year old getting ready to take his driving test and his family I was sitting across from.  It was brutal.

Tonight I had dinner with two of my friends from work, and after dinner (they were going to work) I walked over with them to say goodbye to one of the doctors I hadn't had a chance to say adios to yet.  Afterwards, driving home I was laughing because we walked in the ambulance bay doors and an ambulance was there bringing a patient in, and we all knew the patient  because he is one of the ER's "frequent flyers".  How pathetic is it when you know most of the patients signing in or rolling in on a first-name basis?  The longer I realize I am not working anymore, the  more I feel like a weight has lifted off of my shoulders.  This next month will hopefully be excellent in restoring some of my compassion, because it was and still is most definitely fatigued.

No comments:

Post a Comment