Saturday, November 19, 2011

And, then, next, so forth and so on

I can't believe I am conscious at this hour (I worked last night).  Mainly what happened is I was almost asleep and I remembered I needed to do my car payment online.  Then I realized how incredibly hungry I was and fantasizing about food I was going to eat when I woke up wasn't cutting it.  So I paid my bill and then went and made some pasta with cherry tomatoes and 2 boat loads of pesto.  Then I figured, why don't I do my blog? It's like If You Give a Mouse a Cookie all over again....

Last night's high points included a brawl (my patient, of course) and me getting to ride two of the stretchers back to the ER after transporting patients in them up to the floor.  The brawl consisted of a belligerent and rude 350lb male patient of mine who was brought in by the cops and refusing to cooperate and approximately 6 security guards and 2 male techs.  I could tell the situation was escalating when the pt started ripping off his cardiac monitor and blood pressure cuff and so when I went in to talk to him and tell him to take his meds and leave himself hooked up and he replied "make me", I knew it wasn't going to end well.  I called the security guards, went and found the charge nurse and said something along the lines of  "Um, there is going to be a brawl in my room".  There was. Just fyi, if the police bring you into the ER and it is 2am and you have attitude with me and threaten me and use terms like "I'd like to see you try", "I know how to fight", "I am not scared of you", "You ain't touching me" or "You ain't telling me what to do", sorry, but I will win.  You don't want to drink this charcoal?  Ok.  Eight men will tackle you, strap you down and I will put a tube down your nose and pour the charcoal in that way.  Sound fun yet?  Needless to say there was charcoal and blood everywhere but I am happy to report the patient straightened up his act within 20 minutes of being strapped down.  I think the comment I heard most after that episode was "Boy, you sure are an assertive little thing aren't you?".  Ha.  You have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment